Norfolk (Region 7)
The Winchester terminal serves Norfolk Public Schools and Norfolk students attending Northwest Regional School District No. 7 middle and high schools. It is one of 18 school transportation locations that All-Star Transportation operates in Connecticut. All-Star began providing transportation for Norfolk in 2015 and transports more than 190 Norfolk students daily during the school year.
Safety is central to All-Star’s mission. Our drivers are licensed and rigorously trained. Our buses meet the highest maintenance standards, and each bus undergoes a safety inspection by the driver before every trip that it makes. For example, the brakes, lights, emergency exits and more are among the features checked on every bus before students are picked up in the morning, and many of the same items are checked again before students are picked up from school.
To further ensure the safety of students, rules and regulations have been put in place. Our drivers learn these rules during training and they enforce them. Parents and students also have a critical role, and it’s important that they also read the rules and regulations to learn what’s expected of them. Parents and students should review this information in preparation for the first day of school and refer to it throughout the school year.
Address: 177 Rowley Street, Winchester, CT 06098
Phone: (860) 379-0020
Fax: (860) 379-9192
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 6 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Manager: Michelle Marquis
Safety Supervisor: Tammy Gunning
Norfolk Public Schools – Norfolk public school bus routes are published each summer in the Torrington and Waterbury daily newspapers.
Region 7 – The school bus routes for Colebrook and Norfolk students attending Region 7 Schools are listed here.
NOTE: The time for each bus route is the approximate time the bus will make its first pickup in the morning. Adjustments will be made as necessary and as soon as possible. Students should be at their stops 5-10 minutes before the time listed on the bus route. The stop times can vary 5-10 minutes either way, depending on traffic, weather and the number of students riding the bus.
Please do not worry if a bus is late, especially at the start of a school year when it typically takes a few days for kindergarten children and new students to become accustomed to the bus routes and schedules. If, however, you have concerns about your bus being consistently late over a period of several days, please contact the Winchester office at 860-379-0020.
It is important that students remember to stand at least 10 feet from the road and not move toward the bus until the bus driver nods his or her head signaling that it is safe to board the bus.
School Bell Times:
Northwestern Regional High School – 7:34 a.m. – 2:07 p.m.
Northwestern Regional Middle School – 7:34 a.m. – 2:07 p.m.
Botelle Elementary School – 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Northwestern Regional High School – 9:34 a.m.
Northwestern Regional Middle School – 9:34 a.m.
Botelle Elementary School – 10:30 a.m.
Northwestern Regional High School – 12:05 p.m.
Northwestern Regional Middle School – 12:05 p.m.
Botelle Elementary School – 1:15 p.m.
Oliver Wolcott students are provided shuttle service from Norfolk. Students must provide their own transportation to Norfolk Library, where a bus will pick them up to drive them to school. After school, students are dropped off at the library.
Note: If Norfolk schools have a scheduled day off (teacher workshop, etc.), but Oliver Wolcott is open, the bus to OWT will operate as normal.
If Norfolk schools are closed, there is no bus to Oliver Wolcott. If Winchester has a two-hour delay and Oliver Wolcott does not, the bus to OWT will operate on a two-hour delay. If Norfolk is closed due to bad weather, the bus for OWT students will not operate.
The safety of students is the priority for All-Star Transportation. Picking children up in the morning to dropping them of in the afternoon. This policy for parents to be present at the bus stop for pick-ups and drop offs reinforces our concerns for safety.
Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, & First Grade
Parents are required to be present at the bus stop. If parents are not able to be present at the bus stop, drivers contact All-Star’s Winchester office and a call is made to the school so that a responsible adult can be authorized to substitute for the parents.
Parents are highly recommended to be present at the bus stop. If parents are not going to be present a note to Batcheller or Pearson School stating that the children are allowed to exit the bus without an adult present.
Third – Fifth Grade
Parents are not required to be present at the bus stop. If you normally are present at the stop and are not able to be present, then a call to All-Star Transportation is required.
Here are some safety tips for parents to keep in mind.
The school bus is an extension of the classroom and students are expected to maintain behavior acceptable in a classroom setting. With that in mind, here are some important rules:
1. Students should be at their bus stop five minutes prior to their scheduled pickup time.
2. Students should stand back 10 to 15 feet from the road whenever possible.
3. Students should wait for the school bus to come to a complete stop and for the driver to nod his/her head before approaching the bus.
4. Children should never run after the bus as it pulls away as the driver may not see them.
5. If students need to cross in front of the bus, they should wait until the bus driver nods his / her head to signal it is safe to cross the street.
6. Students should cross at least 10 feet in front of the bus; if you can’t see the driver then the driver can’t see you.
7. If a student drops something in front of the bus, the student should leave the item where it fell until getting the driver’s attention and permission to retrieve the item.
8. No student should ever run towards / from the rear, alongside of a bus. A driver may not see a student in some danger zone blind spots.
9. Shout out to get the driver’s attention if you need them to remain stopped for any reason.
10. Be courteous, no profane language.
11. Do not eat or drink on the bus.
12. Keep the bus clean – put all litter in trash cans available on all buses.
13. Cooperate with the driver.
14. No smoking, including electronic cigarettes / vaping.
15. Do not destroy bus equipment / fixtures.
16. Remain seated until the bus is fully stopped.
17. Keep hands, heads and feet inside the bus.
18. The bus driver has the authority to assign seats.
19. Know the school bus danger zones.